AttractionsThere is no lodging in the Lehigh Valley that is as walkable to as many amenities, while also being immediately accessible to as many key transport routes. Step out this historic mansion’s magnificent oak front doors and walk to Birney Crum Stadium, Allentown Fairgrounds and Farmer’s Market, West Park’s Arboretum, Allentown Symphony and Art Musuem, Cedar Beach Park’s Rose Garden, Muhlenberg College, BrewWork’s award winning brewery and more! The PA Turnpike, Routes 78, 309, 22 and 222 are all just 2 minutes away from The Historic Benner Mansion!
- Allentown BrewWorks: Award-winning, family-owned microbrewery with terrific menu and ambiance – a real treat!
- The Bay Leaf: Wonderful long-standing Allentown tradition with truly excellent food and always — excellent service!
- Billy’s Diner: A Bethlehem favorite that jumped the water to become part of Allentown’s renaissance and is rapidly becoming an Allentown institution. Creative menu is a treat.
- China King: Our favorite American- Chinese food in Allentown. Best for delivery but you can dash in for a no-fuss meal also.
- Cosmopolitan: Voted best new restaurant by Lehigh Valley Magazine; fantastic ambiance across from Allentown Symphony Hall with valet parking! Make your lunch, dinner or Sunday brunch something special!
- Delicioso Pizza and Subs: Part of Allentown’s strong Italian traditions. Eat in or have it delivered – truly exceptional food prepared by the owner/chef.
- El Azteca Restaurant & Bakery: Yet more excellent, authentic Mexican food – enjoy!
- El Rey Mexican Restaurant : More excellent, authentic Mexican food – enjoy!
- Hamilton Family Diner: Next to J. Birney Crum Stadium, a post-game Allentown tradition. Everything a diner should be for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Hummus House: The newest addition to Allentown’s long-standing Middle Eastern Traditions. Outstanding food, unbelievably fresh — made on the premises. Perfect for lunch or light dinner.
- La Placita Mexico: With one of the fastest growing Latino communities in the nation, Allentown is home to terrific grocery restaurants. We love the tiny seating area in the back and the food is terrific!
- Robata: Owner-chef Shindo and Mrs. Shindo have provided exceptional food and service for 30 years in this intimate and delightful Allentown favorite since 1985.
- Yocco’s: Next to J. Birney Crum Stadium, another post-game Allentown tradition. Famous for their chili dogs (you have to try their pierogies!) and genuine Allentown ambiance. Fun ordering since 1922!
The Historic Benner Mansion is walkable to a host of terrific entertainment options, from top-flight music at Allentown Fairgrounds to the excitement of Drum and Bugle Corps and family fun at Dorney Park. The Historic Benner Mansion provides a superb B&B experience to enhance your stay!
- Allentown Fairgrounds: One of the oldest continuously run fairgrounds in the U.S.; the historic Allentown Fairgrounds features world class performers! Plus the Great Allentown Fair and “Real Deal” PA Dutch experience Allentown Farmers Market!
- Allentown Farmers Market: One of the oldest continuously run farmers markets in the U.S.; the historic Allentown Farmers Market features offerings from 65 merchants!
- America on Wheels: Part of Allentown’s unfolding waterfront renaissance – the history of America’s love affair with all things on wheels — a museum of over-the-road transportation.
- Artsquest, Steelstacks, Banana Factory
- Crayola Factory: Let your creativity unfold – terrific for all ages!
- Da Vinci Science Center: Delightful and instructive for all ages! Our family LOVES visiting this interactive and instructive center – perfect for all ages!
- Das Awkscht Fescht: One of the nation’s largest antique and classic car shows now in its 51st Annual Season – fun for the entire family!
- Dorney Park: Close and cost-effective accommodations for families with older children – the two bedrooms of the Captain Benner Suite are perfect!
- Drum and Bugle Corps J. Birney Crum Stadium
- Historic Bethlehem
- Mayfair: Get your Christmas shopping done early with exceptional artisans from across the country.
- Merchants Square Mall: Closest accommodations to “the world’s most amazing model train extravaganza.”
- Musikfest: One of America’s largest music festivals!
The Historic Benner Mansion is easily walkable to a wealth of arts happenings!
- Allentown Art Museum: Worth the visit – don’t miss
- Allentown Band Summer Concerts in the Park: America’s oldest civilian concert important to the arts fabric of Allentown since 1828.
- Allentown Symphony: Allentown is the smallest city in America to have its own Symphony Hall! Historic and memorable – conducted by the terrific maestro Diane Wittry
- Allentown’s Outdoor Sculpture Collection: Allentown is home to an amazing outdoor art collection.
- Baum School: From lessons to art happenings!
- Civic Theatre and 514 Black Box: The inspiration behind the West Park Theatre District: fabulous independent films to superb community theatre.
- Dinner Theatre at The Pines: Part of the West Park Theatre District: enjoy shows in a one-of-a-kind country casual hospitality and delicious food.
Enjoy fabulous biking, jogging and walking trails in Allentown’s renowned park system, underwritten by the Trexler Trust and the City of Allentown. Much of Allentown’s park system can be attributed to the efforts of industrialist General Harry C. Trexler and the first executor of the Trexler Trust, Captain Nolan Benner, famous 50-year resident of The Historic Benner Mansion.
- Historic West Park: Stunning arboretum; step back in time and bring a chair (provided by The Historic Benner Mansion, of course) to sit on the grass for the summer concerts by the Allentown Band; gorgeous water fountain.
- Lehigh Parkway: Trout fishing and unparalleled jogging and walking trails in gorgeous woodland settings; historic covered bridge. Very much worth the longer walk/short car ride!
- Rose Garden and Cedar Beach Park: Gorgeous setting for photos and long walks; fabulous outdoor sculptures and flower gardens.
- Trexler Park: Unparalleled vistas; biking, jogging and walking trails. Very much worth the longer walk/short car ride!
- The Lehigh Valley Heritage Center: For your taste of Allentown’s rich, vibrant history.
- Liberty Bell at Zion’s Church: Gorgeous church and wonderful historic visit!
- The Martin Luther and Coretta Scott King Memorial: The only memorial in the world that commemorates both Martin Luther and Coretta Scott King.
- Old Lehigh County Courthouse: Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1981.
- Trout Hall: Allentown’s impressive oldest home in a lovely park-like setting: a step back in time.
- Iron Pigs AAA Baseball: Great family fun! One of the best: attended AAA ballparks in America!
- Phantom Ice Hockey Coming Winter 2014!: Affordable, high quality entertainment for all ages – open for the 2014 season.
- Veladrome: World-class competitive bicycling!
The Historic Benner Mansion is central to many regional headquartered corporate headquarters, government centers and non-profits. We welcome all executives, trustees, and longer term/periodic guests:
- Allentown School District Central Administration
- Edward N. Cahn U.S. Court House and Federal Building
- Lehigh County Government Center
- Lehigh Valley Hospital 17th Street Campus
- Lehigh Valley Hospital Main Campus
- Mack Truck
- PP&L headquarters
- St. Luke’s Allentown Campus
The Lehigh Valley region is home to nearly a dozen Pennsylvania colleges and universities. The Historic Benner Mansion is the closest accommodations to both Muhlenberg and Cedar Crest. Perfect access to all major highways makes The Historic Benner Mansion an terrific B&B for your other college stays.